When starting a business in Kenya, one of the key legal obligations of operating your business is to have it registered.
In this article, I will guide you on the requirements you need to prepare in order to register your limited company in Kenya.
Company Name Search
It’s ideal to come up with 2-3 company name suggestions that you can use to check the availability of your company name, for example – “Fenesi Consultancy Ltd”, “Kiprono Consultancy Ltd”. Please note that you are only allowed to perform one name search at a time.
You can perform name search at eCitizen website. We can also help you perform your company name search and registration for you.
Memorandum & Other Documents
Once your company name has been reserved, you will need to provide your information that will be used prepare your company documents.
Here are some of the information that you will need to collect;
- Full names – your full names as displayed on your ID/Passport will be used on the application
- Occupation – you will need to state your occupation e.g. IT Consultant, marketing consultant, finance consultancy, consultant etc. If you don’t have any occupation, don’t worry, you can simply put either a businessman or businesswoman.
- Postal address – you will need to provide your postal address. If you don’t have one, you can register it with Posta Kenya.
- Physical Residential address – This information will be used on the Form CR8 to comply with the Company Act which requires all directors to provide their residential address. You’ll need to provide LR number or house number, building name (if any), street name, town name, country.
- Share Allocations – each director will need to be allocated at least 1 share. Remember that the total number of shares available for allocation is 1,000 shares. You can plan to allocate your 1,000 shares using percentages such as 60%/40%, 50%/50%. However, if you are just the sole director then you can have 100% share ownership.
See also: Nominal Capital Share Explained
- Proof of Identity documents – you will need to provide the following documents for registration, without them your application will be rejected.
- Copy of ID or Passport – you can scan or photocopy your identification document
- Copy of KRA PIN certificate – all Kenyan directors/shareholders will need to provide KRA PIN, however, foreigners won’t need to provide one for the registration
- Photos – must have a clear background and show all your facial features, just like a passport photo. Please avoid submitting photos that have someone wearing sunglasses, hats; this could cause your application to be rejected by the Registrar.
- Company Name Suggestions – you’ll need to come up with up-to 2 company name that you would like to check its availability
- Nature of business – with the new Company Act 2015, you can now do all trade of consultancy business without any restrictions.
- Location of business premises – you will need to provide the location details of your office including LR Number or Plot Number, Building name (if any), Street name, Town name. If you don’t have a business premise yet, then you can provide your home address then make the changes later once you have secured business premises.
Once you have provided the above information, your company documents will be prepared and each director will be required to sign the Memorandum & other documents as follows;
- Form CR1 – Application Form for Company Registration
- Form CR2 – Memorandum
- Form CR8 – Notice of Residential Address of Director(s)
- Notice of Nominal Capital Share
- Cessation Form (only applicable for applicants who are upgrading their business to the limited company)
Certificate of Incorporation
Upon signing your documents, your application will be submitted at Company Registry for the process. the documents will be verified and approved before going to the Company Registrar for signing. After a few days, your certificate will be issued.
This process usually takes up to 2 weeks depending on the workload of Company Registry.
So now you know the process of registering a limited company in Kenya.
Are You Ready? Register Your Company Today!
We are excited that you want to register your limited company and we are happy to get everything started so you can start trading soon. Here are the step by step guide on how we will assist you to register your limited company;
Step 1: Pricing Plans
You will need to select which registration package you prefer;
Lite Plan – Ksh. 20,000 – Includes Company Name Search, Certificate of Incorporation, Memorandum, CR12 Letter only.
Premium Plan – Ksh. 40,000 – Includes Company Name Search, Certificate of Incorporation, Memorandum, CR12 Letter, Company KRA PIN, VAT Registration, Tax Compliance Certificate Registration, Lipa Na Mpesa Account Registration, Business Cash Advance Facility, Masterpass QR Registration, Website Design, SSL Certificate for Website, Domain Name (.COM or .CO.KE), Web Hosting (10GB Diskspace), Unlimited Company Email Accounts, Logo Design, Business Card Design, Letterhead Design and Business Consultancy.
Step 2: Requirement Form
Please download and fill this Requirement Form below with your information.
Click on this link to download the Company Registration Requirements Form [Word Version, 3 Pages, Size: 23KB]
Step 3: Registration Order
Once you complete your company requirement form, you will need to upload it on the registration order below and submit your order.
Here Is To Your Success In Registering Your Limited Company!