To register a company as a foreigner, there are two ways you could go about it. In this article we will be looking at how to register a new limited company and how to register a subsidiary company respectively. Below are the guidelines and the requirements for registration of each of these companies.
Register a Limited Company
The introduction of Companies Act 2015, has changed regulations to allow single person to register a limited company in Kenya.
A name search has to be performed to ensure your new company name is available. This is done at company registry or Huduma centre.
Next, you will need to fill and sign the Form CR1, CR2, CR8 and statement of nominal capital. You will need to attached proof of identity documents such as a copy of your passport and passport photo.
Once you have all your requirements, you can proceed to submit them to Company Registry office and make payment for stamp duty fees and registration fees.
If successful, you will be issued a certificate of incorporation. Upon receipt of this certificate, you will need to register a Company PIN which will enable the business to comply with taxation and open a business bank account.
This is a checklist of the documents needed to hand before embarking on the above applications.
- Copy of Passport and passport photo
- Registered office address in Kenya
- Residential address for each director
- KRA PIN for foreigner; to comply you will need to show an Alien ID card which can only be obtained by you physically being in Kenya and applying at the Kenya Department of Immigration. (Alien ID card enables you to move around, conduct business and access government services in Kenya.)
See Also: How To Register Alien ID in Kenya
- Open company bank account – you will need a Company PIN. This is an important document that all companies must have to trade in Kenya. It is used for VAT returns, make tax returns and also critical in opening business bank account. You will require the following to register a company PIN: personal KRA PIN for the director, registered office address with postal address.
Please note, if you have a partner who is Kenyan, you can add him/her as a director and this will help a lot if he/she has a personal KRA PIN Certificate.
Register A Subsidiary Company
In addition to requirements above, the following will also be required for registering a subsidiary of an already existing foreign company (opening a branch of your business in Kenya)
- Copy of memorandum and article of association of the existing foreign company (Must be translated in to English).
- Copy of certificate of incorporation of existing foreign company (in English).
- Proof of ID of all the Directors of the subsidiary branch, e.g. passport, passport photo
- Shares allocation in the new branch/subsidiary (share allocation between existing company and new directors shares)
We can help you with this process through our partner company Dealpoa who are experts in registering companies. Submit your order using the form below and Dealpoa Team will assist you with your company registration.
Foreign Limited Company Order Form[Formstack id=1652858 viewkey=IoHsfu8Yx4]
Here Is To Your Success in Starting Your Business In Kenya!